The Honourable Stephen T. Goudge is a well-known and highly respected member of Canada’s legal community. He became counsel* to Paliare Roland in 2014, having served on the Court of Appeal for Ontario since 1996. He served the court with great distinction and earned a reputation for writing clear and strong decisions in all areas of law. His many achievements were recognized when he received an honourary Doctorate of Laws from the Law Society of Upper Canada in June 2014.
In 2012, he was awarded the Guthrie Award from the Law Foundation of Ontario in recognition of his exceptional work improving access to justice in the province.
Stephen was appointed to the Order of Ontario in January 2016 for his work as Commissioner for the Public Inquiry into Pediatric Forensic Pathology. This led to a fundamental restructuring of the delivery of forensic pathology services in Ontario.
* As counsel to Paliare Roland, Stephen is not a member of the firm (neither associate nor partner), is not paid by it, and plays no administrative or management role. Stephen invoices his clients and parties to mediations/arbitrations independently, not through Paliare Roland.
- University of Toronto Faculty of Law, LL.B., 1968
- London School of Economics, M.SC. (Econ.), 1965
- University of Toronto, B.A. (Honours), 1964
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Canadian Civil Liberties Association, Member
- Appointed to the Court of Appeal for Ontario, 1996
- Chief Justice’s Advisory Committee on Professional Responsibility, Member
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Member
- Board of Governors Law Commission of Ontario, Member
- Civil Rules Committee, Member
- Council of Canadian Academies Panel on the Future of Policing, Chair
Awards and Honours
Publications and Presentations