Chris Paliare is a pioneer in boutique litigation. His unique combination of sophisticated legal skills, strategic instincts, and creativity has earned him recognition as one of the top litigators in the country.
- University of Texas at Austin, LL.M, 1971
- Osgoode Hall, LL.B., 1970
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow, former Ontario Provincial Chair, and Honourary Member of COMBAR
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Member
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers (Eastern Canadian Chair), Fellow
- International Society of Barristers, Fellow
- LSUC, Certified Specialist in Civil Litigation
- The Advocates’ Society, Member
*Practising as a professional corporation
- Chris Paliare’s practice covers all aspects of counsel work, including appeals, complex corporate and commercial litigation, securities litigation, administrative law, public law, class actions, Charter of Rights and constitutional litigation, defamation, employment law, pension litigation, and white collar crime.
- Chris has appeared before numerous administrative tribunals as well as in every level of trial and appellate court in the Province of Ontario, and the Supreme Court of Canada.
- Acting on behalf of professionals who have come into conflict with their regulatory agencies, Chris regularly appears before the Divisional Court, the Court of Appeal for Ontario, and before disciplinary bodies.
- Chris has supervised the conduct of multi-jurisdictional litigation. He is a frequent lecturer and speaker to professional industry groups on the impact of litigation trends and employment and labour issues.
- On July 4, 2017, the Ontario Court of Appeal released its decision in Angus v. Municipality of Port Hope, 2017 ONCA 566, which reviews key principles in determining whether obligations are pursuant to contract or trust. Chris Paliare, Richard Stephenson, and Lindsay Scott successfully represented the Municipality of Port Hope as appellant.
Awards and Honours
Awards and Special Recognition
- OBA Award of Excellence in Civil Litigation, 2016
- Member of the Order of Ontario, 2011
- Law Society Medal, 2004
- Osgoode Hall Law School Alumni Association Gold Key Award for Outstanding Achievement, 2008
- Selected as one of Toronto's 50 Most Influential People, Toronto Life, 2013
- Recognized in Best Lawyers as one of a group of 39 "most eminent and influential Bet-the-Company Litigators" from across Canada
- Recognized in the Lexpert®/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, annually.
- Ranked as a Leading Lawyer by Chamber Global Canada, 2016
- Listed in Best Lawyers, Lawyer of the Year in Administrative and Public Law, 2015
- Featured in the Globe and Mail's Lexpert®/Report on Business Magazine Litigation Lawyer, December 2015
- Identified as a Leading Cross-Border Litigation Lawyer in the Lexpert® Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Litigation Lawyers in Canada, annually
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in Canada in Public and Administrative Law, Class Actions, Corporate Commercial Litigation and Labour and Employment Law, annually
- Specialist in Civil Litigation, Certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada
Chris is continuously listed in the following publications:
- Chambers Global The World’s Leading Lawyers
- Euromoney’s Expert Guide to Global Labour and Employment Lawyers PLC Global Counsel Handbook.
- Guide to the Leading 100 Canada/US Cross-Border Litigators
- Lexpert Guide to the 100 Most Creative Lawyers in Canada
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Media Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
- Mondaq’s Employment Lawyers
- Recognized in Best Lawyers as one of a group of 39 “most eminent and influential Bet-the-Company Litigators” from across Canada
- The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers
- The International Who’s Who of Commercial Litigators (Law Business Research)
- The International Who’s Who of Labour and Employment Lawyers
- Benchmark Canada 2013
Publications and Presentations