Don Eady practices union-side labour law, employment law, administrative law and government relations. He has considerable experience in all aspects of labour relations, occupational health and safety and workers’ compensation.
Mr. Eady has acted as counsel to trade unions with particular emphasis on internal union disputes, construction labour law, picketing and strike-related legal matters, union certifications, successor rights and grievance arbitration matters. Mr. Eady is also counsel to a number of pension plans and health and welfare trusts.
Mr. Eady has appeared before numerous administrative tribunals and trial and appellate courts in the Province of Ontario.
From 1991-1994, Mr. Eady was Special Assistant to the Ontario Minister of Labour. He was involved in the development of the Crown Employees Collective Bargaining Act, as well as amendments to the Labour Relations Act, the Workers’ Compensation Act and regulations under the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Along with Ian Roland and Robert Centa, Mr. Eady was counsel to the Ontario Public Service Employees Union with respect to the Walkerton inquiry.
- LL.B., 1988
- M.A., 1984
- University of Toronto, B.A., 1983
- Canadian Association of Labour Lawyers
- The Advocates’ Society
- Don has acted for a number of trade unions involved in intra-union disputes. In that capacity he has acted for both parent and local trade unions. Don also frequently provides advice to trade unions on their constitution and by laws, on regulatory and legislative issues, and on general legal matters.
- Don has acted for trade unions in picketing injunction cases, human rights matters, occupational health and safety matters, labour board matters, grievance and interest arbitrations.
Awards and Honours
Repeatedly recognized in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as Consistently Recommended:
- Labour Relations - Labour
Ranked by Chambers Canada 2019 in Employment & Labour: Labour for Unions practice area in Ontario
Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada for Labour and Employment Law since 2015
Valedictorian, University of Toronto Faculty of Law, 1988
Lexpert Repeatedly Recommended, Construction Labour Law
Martindale Hubbell BV Distinguished Rating
Publications and Presentations
- Co-Author, Ontario Public Sector Employment and Labour Law, 2005, Irwin Law Inc.
- Frequent Presenter at Conferences dealing with Labour Law, Occupational Health and Safety and Human Rights