Thoroughly understanding each client’s objectives and business or professional interests are crucial to developing and navigating a sensible and appropriate strategy in a legal dispute. Through diligent teamwork, asking the right questions, and actively listening, Odette Soriano helps clients solve their legal problems.
Odette advises clients involved in complex disputes in a variety of contexts: commercial cases, class actions, media and defamation law, as well as professional discipline matters.
Odette has acted as counsel to corporations, politicians (at the federal, provincial and municipal level, as well as internationally), a federal political party, lawyers, athletes, authors, police officers, and others in both the public and private sectors, as well as not-for-profit organizations, charities, religious institutions, educational institutions and others.
In her media and defamation practice, Odette acts for plaintiffs and defendants, and in advisory capacity concerning media-related issues.
As part of the firm’s class action team, Odette acts as class counsel and as counsel to Defendants in all aspects of class proceedings.
In professional discipline proceedings, Odette has acted both for individuals facing prosecution though their regulatory bodies as well as part of the prosecution team. She also acts as independent legal counsel to a discipline committee in the regulated health professional colleges.
- University of Victoria, LL.B.
- University of Western Ontario, Finance and Economics, B.A.
- The Advocates’ Society
- Toronto Lawyers Association
* Practising as a professional corporation.
Awards and Honours
Recognized by The Legal 500 Canada 2021 as recommended lawyer in Dispute Resolution - Ontario
Recognized by Benchmark Litigation as 2020 Litigation Star
Recognized by Benchmark Litigation as 2019 Litigation Star
Publications and Presentations
- Panel member, Ad IDEM, Canadian Media Lawyers Association 2019 Annual Conference, "Anti-SLAPP - Court of Appeal weighs in", November 9, 2019
- Panel member, OBA, Defamation Law: A Practical Guide for Litigators, "Anti-SLAPP Developments", May 14, 2019
- Panel member, The Advocates' Society, Civil Litigation Skills Certificate Program: Leading Your Case: Opening Statements and Examination-in-Chief, " Mastering Opening Statements", December 7, 2018
- Plaintiff's counsel and panel member, "Demonstration and Commentary on Effective Opening Statements", December 7, 2018
- Panel member, OBA, Class Actions Webinar, "Practical Tips for Class Action Mediation with the Honourable Warren Winkler", November 14, 2018
- Panel member, The Advocates' Society, Class Actions Advocacy, "Lightning Round - The Year in Review", February 12, 2018