Jean-Claude has a broad background as a civil litigation generalist. His clients value his ability to grasp the unique pressures of their businesses and strategize accordingly.
He brings a welcome adaptability and unflappability to high-stress situations, making him a sought-after team member on large contentious matters, and a tactful negotiator.
Jean-Claude has acquired particular expertise in commercial matters such as contract disputes and shareholder and partnership disputes, as well as in defamation matters. He regularly acts for and advises both employees and management in employment matters. He also devotes a significant amount of his practice to professional discipline matters, acting as prosecutor for regulatory bodies in the health sector, and representing professionals before other regulators. He represents clients in both French and English.
Jean-Claude is Past Chair of the Administrative Law Section of the Ontario Bar Association, and a member of The Advocates’ Society’s Regulatory and Administrative Law Practice Group.
- Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.B., 2007
- University of Toronto, B.A. (Hons.), 2001
- Association des juristes d’expression française de l’Ontario
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
Awards and Honours
Recognized in 2021 by Best Lawyers in Canada for Corporate and Commercial Litigation and Health Law
Recognized by Benchmark Litigation as Litigation Star
Recognized by Benchmark Litigation as 2020 Future Star
Recognized by Benchmark Litigation as 2019 Future Star and is on 40 & Under Hot List
Named a “Rising Star, one of Canada’s Leading Lawyers under 40” by Lexpert, 2017
Publications and Presentations
- “Professional Regulation Essentials” & “Advanced Issues in Professional Regulation”, program chair of full-day OBA Program, May 14, 2018.
- “Use of Norwich Orders to Uncover Anonymous Authors”, presentation at Law Society of Ontario program: Social Media and Litigation, May 8, 2018.
- “Motions for Disclosure of Electronic Evidence”, presentation at Advocates’ Society program: 2018 Toronto Courthouse Series – Complex Motions and Applications, February 23, 2018.
- “Master Class in the Fundamentals of Administrative Law & Practice”, half-day course at Canadian Institute program: 2nd Annual Advanced Administrative Law & Practice West, November 28, 2017.
- “Roundup of Recent Cases on Cultural Competency, Impartiality, and Bias in Judicial Decision-Making”, panel member and presenter at OBA/RODA program: 3rd Annual Diversity Conference, November 27, 2017.
- “Master Class in the Fundamentals of Administrative Law & Practice”, half-day course at Canadian Institute program: 18th Annual Advanced Administrative Law & Practice, October 23, 2017.
- Presenter, LSUC-accredited Continuing Legal Education, "Technology in Practice: Hacks", Fall 2017 (with Lindsay Scott).
- “How to Present Evidence”, presentation at OBA program: Adjudicative Tribunal Practice Primer, April 3, 2017.
- “Understanding What Drives Your Particular Tribunal,” panel member and presenter at Osgoode PD program: The Civil Litigator’s Guide to Tribunal Advocacy, October 5, 2016.
- “Critical Case Update: Moore v. Getahun: How Far Can Counsel Now Go In ‘Educating’ Expert Witnesses?”, panel member at Osgoode PD program of the same title, March 25, 2015.
- “Jurisdiction of Colleges”, presentation at Osgoode PD program: Certificate in Professional Regulation & Discipline in the Ontario Health Care Sector, 2014.
- The fragile protection of qualified privilege when reporting misconduct – Toronto Law Journal, October 2013.
- “The Intersection of Labour and Restructuring Law in Ontario: A Survey of Current Law”, by Massimo Starnino, Jean-Claude Killey, and Clifton P. Prophet, presented at an Ontario Bar Association conference held in Toronto, Ontario, April 24, 2009.
- “The Long Road To The Courtroom: Daniels V. Canada And Federal Jurisdiction In Relation To Métis And Non-Status Indians”, by Andrew K. Lokan and Jean-Claude Killey, presented at a conference held in Vancouver, BC, hosted by Pacific Business & Law Institute, October 18-19, 2007.